Sunday, September 30, 2018
I really liked this video and saw the value of collaborative work thru multimedia projects. The project in the video was absolutely amazing. Giving the students the chance to work with real scientists is such an opportunity to feel that their work is important and interesting. It also creates a chance for one or more of these students to be influenced to go into the sciences as a profession because of it. The peer socialization of the group work is a key aspect of the project. The students are learning socialization skills which unfortunately are not being met with the more isolationist parenting of today when children are not allowed to be outside by themselves socializing with their peers and learning the valuable socialization skills (problem solving, conflict resolution). This makes group work at school all the more needed and valuable as it may be the only part of the day the kids are having face to face conversations with peers outside of a phone or tablet screen. I'm not yet convinced about allowing student's to grade themselves, but I have no experience, so I hold out judgement on that idea as the teacher in the video did a lot of things that I wholeheartedly agree with and as skilled of a teacher as Mr. Dieckmann knows a lot more than I.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment