Saturday, October 27, 2018
This
works because the children can do-hands-on experiences to do the research,
information exchange from all over the world and collaboration between the
students. The teacher helps facilitate
this to the students by providing the material and technology. I liked that they had the opportunity to have
the milkweed plants were the monarch butterfly leave their eggs. At my
preschool, we would bring a plant inside the classroom where the students were
able to see the caterpillar grow. We created a calendar to keep track of the caterpillar
growth. We then saw the caterpillar start make its chrysalis, and finally, we
were able to watch the monarch hatch from the chrysalis. Once the monarch was ready
we took it out to the garden where we had more milkweed plants and let it fly. It was a wonderful experience that the
children were exposed too. This activity
can be done with any elementary age group.
After watching the video, I can see how I can expand this activity with
other grades. I really enjoyed seeing the butterfly cards they received from
Mexico. I have recently seen a 9 minute video
that is on YouTube: Visit El Rosario
Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary in Mexico https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDqZdgtN28I
, I would use
something like this to tie it into the curriculum.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment